Thursday, March 26, 2009

Spring Cleaning.....'just do it'

I think it is safe to say that each one of us has a vision come to mind when someone mentions 'spring cleaning'. Most often it is an image of sheer curtains flowing against a gentle breeze sprinkled with the scent of rain or a picture of a closet organized by colour and style with all hangers pointing in the same direction. To others, 'spring cleaning' takes on a completely different meaning - turning inwards and outling cleanses for the body, mind, and soul.

Let's face it - is that vision really the reality?

I'm lucky if I can get a load of laundry into the machine and quickly whip the vacume cleaner along the floors. I love the feeling of a super clean home but we all know that it all can get away from us. My week long goal to clear our my closet has been on the top of my 'to do' list for the past 3 weeks. I have every intention of organizing my paperwork over the weekend but suddenly I'm looking down the barrel of a shotgun - otherwise know as Sunday 9pm - with papers strewn around me like confetti.

Is there ever enough time in the day to get it all done? ...........No.

I've decided to make a commitment to myself and by sharing it with you, I'm going to have to be accountable for it. My commitment is to 'just do it'. No, I'm not being paid by Nike. What I'm trying to tell myself is that when I find the reason not to do something, I have to make the effort to 'just do it' - whether it be spring cleaning, exercising, or just making time to be with myself.

Here is my list of commitments (at least for the next 2 months).

I commit to:
  1. Checking items off of my 'to do' list within 4 days of writting them (that means writing them the first time, not the re-writing of the list that can occur exponentially)
  2. Running at the track behind my apartment - no less than twice a week
  3. Organizing my closet (sending any clothes not worn within the past year to Goodwill)
  4. Reading one book a month
  5. Writing at least a chapter of my book about my Dad every month
  6. To 'just do it'
I'm sure you're thinking, like I would if I read this list on another blog, "how the hell am I going to know that your keeping up your end of the bargain?"

Well, the answer is......you're going to have to trust me ..............and keep reading to see what happens next......

No comments:

Post a Comment